Labour Day 3 on 3
Saturday, September 3, 2022 to Sunday, September 4, 2022
Thank you to all participating teams!
3 on 3 Stars Hockey Tournament Rules
SECTION 1: GAME PLAY RULES
- All games will be NO BODY CHECKING.
- All games are run time. Games are one 30 minute period.
- Two minute warm up before each game.
- No Icing rule is in effect for all games.
- TAG UP OFF SIDES- when players are offside all attacking players must clear the offensive zone to the neutral zone before re-attacking (Referee will coach the offending team out of the zone) As an example - If a team goes offside the referee will blow the whistle and tell the team to leave the zone. The other team will now have possession of the puck.
- Face-offs will occur at the beginning of each game at center ice.
- Change of Possession
- OUT OF PLAY- When the puck goes out of play a face off will occur in the appropriate place. If the puck was shot out of play intentionally a penalty will be given. To keep the game play going, pucks that hit the end or side nets but remain in play will be considered in play.
- GOALIE FREEZES PUCK- If the goalie freezes the puck the referee will blow the whistle and the entire attacking team must clear the blue line of the offensive zone. Once everyone has cleared they are allowed to attack. If the goalie holds onto the puck for a unreasonable amount of time a delay of game penalty may be assessed. It is the goalies/teams advantage to have the goalie play the puck as quick as possible as teams may attack once they clear the zone!
- GOAL SCORED- When a goal is scored the referee blows the whistle and all of the scoring team must clear the blue line of the offensive zone. The scoring team is allowed to attack as soon as they have all cleared. Again, the goalie will be encouraged to play the puck as quickly as possible and may be assessed a delay in game penalty if they hold on to the puck for two long.
- TIMEOUTS- No time outs. An official may call a delay of game penalty if a coach attempts to call a time out or is uncooperative. If the coach continues to be difficult their team's games may be assessed as 5-0 losses regardless of their game scores. In extreme cases teams may be removed completely from the tournament. Remember this is for fun so we do not want to have to remove any team. Coaches should not cause their kids to be penalized from their behavior.
- PULLED GOALIE- Teams may pull their goalie for an extra attacker at any time.
- OVERTIME- There is no overtime during the round robin tournament. Games will end in a tie at the end of the game.
SECTION 2: ROSTER and ELIGABILITY RULES
- No more than 10 players including the goalie may be in a team's roster unless approved by the tournament committee prior to the tournament.
- A team must have a minimum of 5 players dressed for a game to avoid a default loss. In the even the winning team will be credited with 5 goals
- In the event the goalie cannot play or is absent the team must continue play with 4 skaters until a suitable replacement from their current roster can go into net. Until this replacement is ready, play must continue.
- Teams may have more than one of their players play as goalie during the tournament if they so chose. Teams may not register more than the 10 player limit.
- Teams must adhere to the age ranges for the players. Atom players should be playing Atom, Peewee players should be playing Peewee, and so on. Teams may have underage players on their roster but overage players will NOT be accepted unless accepted by the tournament committee prior to the tournament.
- All players must be on the team roster that was submitted prior to the first game of the tournament. Late additions/changes will be allowed at the discretion of the tournament committee only. No exceptions. No appeals heard.
SECTION 3: PENALTIES
All penalties will result in a penalty shot
PENALTY SHOT PROCEDURE
- When a penalty is called the clock WILL NOT STOP
- Penalty shot must be taken by the one of the players on the ice at the time of the infraction.
- The player taking the penalty shop will line up at center ice.
- All other players from both teams will line up behind the far blue line.
- All players will start from the standing position.
- Referee will blow the whistle to start play.
- NO player on the ice can start skating until the referee blows the whistle.
- Should the player miss the penalty shot, play will continue, if a goal is scored players must clear the zone as normal. The scoring team is allowed to attack as soon as they have all cleared.
- Any Individual receiving 3 minor penalties in one game will receive a game ejection
- Coincidental minor penalties will result on no penalty shot for either of the teams, but the time keeper will mark penalties down to be counted towards the incidental minor penalties will result in a face off at center ice.
- A major penalty will result in the offending player (s) being ejected from the game, and a penalty shot (s) awarded, Major penalties in the last 5 min of the game will result on an additional game suspension
- All game ejections will be reviewed by the tournament committee. If the tournament committee and officials feels that it is appropriate he can eject the player from the next game and up to including the entire remainder of the tournament. This is not negotiable. At all.
- Player's expelled from the tournament, for any reason will NOT be entitled to a refund. Teams that decide to withdraw from the tournament will NOT receive a refund.
During the course of the game, the referee decision is final, a ZERO tolerance approach will be used by the referee towards aggressive and /or abusive coaches, spectators and parents. If needed a tournament committee delegate will assist in enforcing the referee decision to have any coach, parent or spectator ejected from the arena. A penalty may be assessed to the team the coach, spectator, or parent is associated with if they are uncooperative in leaving.
SECTION 4: TOURNAMENT POINTS AND BREAKING RULES
Teams will receive points as follows:
- Win by 3 or more goals - 5 points
- Win by 1 or 2 goals - 3 points
- Tie - 2 points
- Loss by 1 or 2 goals - 1 point
- Loss by 3 or more goals - 0 points
Playoff seeding will be completed by the tournament committee as quickly as possible after round robin and the website updated as soon as results are final. We will not manipulate final games to better suit your team. Be ready for quick turnaround for lower seeded teams.
TIES IN STANDINGS
In the event of a tie in the round robin standings, the final positioning results will be decided by (in order of consideration)
- Head-to-Head Results
- Most Wins
- Best Goal Differential
- Least Goals Against
- Coin Flip
In multiple way ties, Head-to-Head will NOT be the first Tie Breaker.
In the event of a tiebreak, goal differential is only counted to a maximum of 5 goals for any one game.
TIES IN FINAL GAMES
In the event of a tie in the finals, the game will be decided by sudden death overtime for 5 minutes, after a one-minute break the teams will continue till one of the teams scores. After that, teams must line up their players in the order they will attempt shootout goals. Teams cannot manipulate the order of shooters even after all 9 skaters have shot. Shootout will be best of 3 attempts team against team, then sudden death. Each team's shooter will attempt at the same time. Do not attempt to shoot until the ref blows the whistle. Once the players leave with the puck to attempt to shoot, the next shooter should approach centre ice to be ready to shoot in a timely manner.
Prepare for the upcoming winter season with a fun, fast-paced 3 on 3 tournament hosted out of Genesis Place in Airdrie, AB!
Registration is only $1500 per team or $170 per individual. Full teams can save $150 if they provide their own jerseys be entering promo code NOJERSEY on the payment page of the registration form.
All games are full ice.
Includes a guarantee of 5, 30-minute games plus jersey (if needed) and cash prizes to the top three teams within each division!
Team and Individual Registrations available for the following age groups:
- U11 (2012/2013) - Individual spots remain
- U13 (2010/2011) - One team spot remains
If registering a player, please select "Participant Registration" upon entering the registration system.